Recently we have been receiving requests around the island for assistance.
In response to this we wanted to clarify what we can and cannot do due to our current limitations.
While in our long-term goals, we hope to open an animal shelter on the island. We are actively working with local government to make this dream a reality as soon as possible but also understand that delays are inevitable in the current pandemic. More about our Mission and Vision can be found here: https://www.animalwelfarekarpathos.com/mission-and-vision
In order for any of this to happen we need two things: more volunteers and donations
If you are interested in donating, please visit our website: https://www.animalwelfarekarpathos.com/donate
- Any money we raise goes right back into providing funding for the services listed below. We do our best to cover veterinary expenses and some travel expenses if we can/if the budget allows.
- We will soon be sharing all the financial information on our website to ensure complete transparency.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please sign up here: https://www.animalwelfarekarpathos.com/volunteer and join our Discord chat group (after you download the app and make a profile): https://discord.com/invite/UgHQCdN
- We currently only have 5 volunteers on the island and will definitely need more volunteers as we grow.
- No one is paid for any of this work, everyone is volunteering their time towards this organization.
We are a registered non-for-profit in Greece, as such we cannot do any of this without your support.
What we can do:
- Assistance with transporting animals to vertinary care (if there is a volunteer available). Our recommendation is: if you are worried about a stray animal that is injured, try to capture it and either take it home or directly to a Veterinarian. We can work with you to figure out next steps. All vet contact information is located here: https://www.animalwelfarekarpathos.com/emergency
- Assistance with transporting animals off the island and to their forever homes elsewhere
- Assistance with getting animals vaccinated and getting passports so they can travel
- Assistance with animals getting spayed/neutered by a Veterinarian
- Fostering animals that are friendly and in need of homes (if we have volunteers available)
- Installing and refilling the feeders we have places in villages around the island
What we cannot currently do:
- Providing medical assistance directly to animals without veterinary assistance. Our recommendation is: if you are worried about a stray animal that is injured, try to capture it and either take it home or directly to a vet. We can work with you to figure out next steps. All vet contact information is located here: https://www.animalwelfarekarpathos.com/emergency
- Picking up stray animals that are otherwise healthy. We are not animal control and do not have a shelter or any facilities to house stray animals. Our recommendation is: if you are worried about a stray animal, try to capture it and either take it home or directly to a vet. We can work with you to figure out next steps. All vet contact information is located here: https://www.animalwelfarekarpathos.com/emergency
- Animal abuse or animal cruelty situations need to be reported to the local police. We recommend taking pictures or video of the situation to share with them as part of an investigation. More information about this can be found here: https://www.animalwelfarekarpathos.com/emergency
We hope this helps clarify what currently we are able to assist with. We look forward to expanding our services as we continue to grow and eventually to have a shelter of our own to service the island. Thank you all for your continued support!